Thursday, March 4, 2010

Don Quixote 28-35

I really like some of the social commentary Cervantes makes in chapter XXVII about some of the ridiculous courting customs and the incentive for these customs. Like Don Fernando's wife says, it was never her idea that Don Fernando should come after her, and even her parents were not terribly thrilled with the idea. "My parents' firm promises and the truths they were telling me strengthened my resolve, and I never replied to Don fernando with a single word that could have given him the remotest hope of fulfilling his desire." (252)

But of course he comes after her anyway or rather emotionally imposes himself on her anyway, marries her, and finally decides he wasn't really that into her anyway. Normally, a woman in this time period would not have been able to do anything to resolves the situation, but then Cervantes plays with karma by making so that Luscinda was already married to someone, a satisfying punishment sent by the divine for his going back on a promise made to his legitimate wife as well as God. "...the door of reparation hadn't slammed on me; and it occurred to me that it might have been heaven that had put this impediment in the way of the second marriage, to make him remember he was a Christian and should have more regard for his soul than for mere human concerns." (258)

No comments:

Post a Comment